by Brianna Paolotti, staff reporter
Cameras flashed and fans screamed as celebrities walked the red carpet for this year’s MTV Video Music Awards to honor the best music videos of this past year. Airing on September 6, viewers watched the 2012 show which was hosted by comedian Kevin Hart.
“I thought he was the best host yet, he was really funny and entertaining,” junior Samantha Puzzo said.
To kick off the show, Rihanna had performed both songs “Cockiness” and “We Found Love” and later was awarded video of the year. The new UK band, One Direction, also performed their single, “One Thing” after being awarded Best New Artist, Best Pop Video, and Most Share-Worthy Video.
“I’ve been a fan of them [One Direction] for a long time and seeing them win more than one VMA made me really proud of them. With their performance everyone expected them to sing ‘What Makes You Beautiful’ which they didn’t, and sang their other hit single,” freshman Gillian Paolotti said.
Other top charting artists, including P!nk, Frank Ocean, Green Day, and 2 Chainz all had their time to shine to perform in the Staples Center stage in Los Angeles.
“Green Day’s performance would have to be have my favorite out of all them, because they’re my second favorite band,” freshman Sara Doran said.
This year’s VMAS had made it the highest rated show to date: 6.13 million viewers tuned in to watch their favorite celebs accept the various awards.
“My favorite part of the show had to be when Rebel Wilson came out in a crazy costume with The Wanted. It was really funny how she made them feel uncomfortable,” junior Michelle Shine said.
US olympian gold medal gymnastic team, “The Fab Five” had made an appearance toward the end of the show and Gabby Douglas reappeared to do a bit of light tumbling during the tail end of Alicia Keys singing her new single, “Girl on Fire.” Viral youtube star, PSY, had also made an appearance bringing ‘Gangnam style’ to the VMAS, after popping up from underneath the stage when Kevin Hart was dancing to his famous song.
Finishing the show, Taylor Swift performed her new single “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together.”
“I’m not a big fan of hers, but I really liked her performance,” junior Leeann Mello said.
Overall the 2012 VMAS turned out to be a great success and was a great night.
MTV VMAS 2012 WINNERS LIST
- Video of the Year: Rihanna, “We Found Love” featuring Calvin Harris
- Best Male Video: Chris Brown , “Turn Up the Music”
- Best Female video: Nicki Minaj, “Starships”
- Best Pop Video: One Direction, “What Makes You Beautiful”
- Best Rock Video: Coldplay, “Paradise”
- Best Hip-Hop Video: Drake, “HYFR” featuring Lil Wayne
- Best Video With a Message: Demi Lovato, “Skyscraper”
- Most Share-Worthy Video: One Direction, “What Makes You Beautiful”
- Best Electronic Dance Music Video: Calvin Harris, “Feel So Close”
- Best New Artist: One Direction
- Best Direction: M.I.A., “Bad Girls”
- Best Art Direction: Katy Perry, “Wide Awake”
- Best Choreography: Chris Brown, “Turn Up the Music”
- Best Editing: Beyonce, “Countdown”
- Best Visual Effects: Skrillex, “First of the Year (Equinox)”
- Best Cinematography: M.I.A., “Bad Girls”